"Michael S. Johnson" <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 17 Feb 1995 00:38:32 -0800
Winship wrote:
> As to technical writers, Eric (here I go with another aside), there are
> a lot of listowners around who are quite good at explaining technical
> matters to novices.  You might think about asking them to write parts
> of your documentation, the areas with which they are most familiar,
> for a nominal fee.  You and Nathan could proofread, make corrections,
> put it all together, etc.  Just an idea.

May I add a suggestion for documentation aimed specifically at list
subscribers, who might need even more handholding than do list owners?  The
founder of the list of which I am now owner put together documentation of
commands that subscribers could use to control their subscription settings
and retrieve files and past message logs, in a way that was quite a bit less
arcane than the raw LISTSERV REFCARD.  It's gone through a couple of
revisions since then, but if there were a more generic, more readable
document out there, then perhaps I could refer new subscribers to it and
they might then no longer be such a terror.  I'd even be willing to
contribute to the production of such documentation.

You can see from my signature that I've dealt with people who just don't
seem to grasp the concept of control over their own subscriptions.

- Michael;     NAUSICAA list owner: <[log in to unmask]>

* to get help with LISTSERV: send "HELP" to [log in to unmask] *
*  to unsubscribe:  send the words "SIGNOFF NAUSICAA" to same address  *
*  Japanese Animation (a.k.a. anime) - the best that Disney never did  *
[  WWW index: http://weber.u.washington.edu/~msj  home: ~msj/msj.html  ]