Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 3 Dec 1994 01:47:12 +0100
On Fri, 2 Dec 1994 16:33:30 -0500 Roger Burns <[log in to unmask]>
said:

>I note that it's possible to GET a UUencoded version of FILELIST. I wish
>it were possible to PUT it in a similar fashion.

That procedure  exists and it is  LB64.C. This program doesn't  work on a
small   minority  of   "technically-capable  sites",   it  works   nearly
everywhere. It was  originally written for unix, but it  works on VMS and
on my  PC with no  change. The  only thing that  it requires is  that the
compiler support 32  bit (or larger) integers. Even  MS-DOS compilers do.
I'm sure you can find a system where it won't work, but that doesn't mean
the program was written for a small subset of privileged people. The goal
was to provide a generic, portable solution.

I can only go so far in providing a generic solution. There are literally
hundreds of  brands/architectures and  operating systems on  which people
might want  to run LB64, and  I cannot prepare executables  for all these
architectures  and keep  them up  to date.  The user  has to  compile the
program himself or, if he doesn't know  how, ask the system manager to do
that, or get  help from the help desk. I  can't include documentation for
all the possible compilers and operating systems with the program. I have
to  assume  that  either  the  user  or  his  local  helpdesk  or  system
administrator will  know how to compile  the program on the  local system
and prepare an executable. On BSD/386, it is:

$ gcc -o lb64 -O lb64.c
$ lb64 xxx.list | mail [log in to unmask]

I happen to know  how to do it on your system, but  if you were using say
PrimOS, I wouldn't know where to begin. This is the type of question that
it is best  to ask your local  help desk, because they  know exactly what
kind of  system you are  using and  what local procedures  are available.
Incidentally, the syntax  is described in the comments at  the top of the
source file.

To answer  your other  question, L-Soft is  going to  develop clickomatic
list administration  interfaces for Windows,  and they will of  course do
all the lb64 work  for you and have nice help menus.  But lb64.c is free,
and unix doesn't really have the  reputation of being user friendly. It's
easy to blame L-Soft for the problems you are having, but what else could
we have done to prevent them? We can't custom-build lb64 for free, and if
we charged $20 for the program,  you'd be complaining about having to pay
for something that should be free :-)

  Eric