Norm Aleks <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 7 Jul 1996 11:34:15 -0400
Kathleen Bruce <[log in to unmask]> writes:
> What is the cause of this message below? I had it in my mailbox when I got
> up this am, and also the listserv had sent out duplicate digests at around
> the same time.
> [...]
> >From: "L-Soft list server at UMASS Medical Center Library (1.8b)"
> >Subject:      Message ("An error occurred while logging mail to the...")

I'm postmaster on LIBRARY.UMMED.EDU ...  let me add  one more piece of info
that may be relevant :-).  Last night I was working on other things and for
non-LISTSERV reasons forcibly killed lsv  (kill -9) around midnight.  (This
is the first time in two years I've had to do that ... load was through the
roof, and I think Sendmail had stopped reacting to LISTSERV or was reacting
so slowly that LISTSERV  was just never getting  to my polite kill and lcmd
STOP.)  My bet is, LISTSERV was  partway through the  LACTNET digest at the
time, and when it restarted from the top, some lucky people got two copies.

About  the "error logging mail"  message, I don't  have  many good guesses.
Kathleen freed  the list this  morning and  it's  working (see, she doesn't
need me, snif), so my bet is that the "error logging mail" is a red herring
and the big point here is, Postmaster Don't Kill -9 LISTSERV :-)
--
  Norm

If you can't live without me, why aren't you dead yet?