Norm Aleks <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 25 Feb 1995 16:44:03 -0500
[Kathryn A. Smith]
> I have  received two error messages  sent by this same   person on my new
> home site in Poland.  From  what I can tell, her  server somehow or other
> comes        up      with    [log in to unmask]   instead    of
> [log in to unmask]  Why does it do that?  Can we fix it?

Some rotten mail  gateways only keep  one "return" address, instead of  the
several that Internet mail  uses.  The choice they  usually make is to keep
the  "envelope sender," which  from LISTSERV is "owner-LISTNAME@HOST" (fine
behavior, follows all the RFC's, etc.).  The address she wants to reply to,
on  the other hand, is  in "Reply-To:", which the   gateway has thrown out.
Thus the problem is at her end, not yours.  However, if she is important to
you, you can tell LISTSERV  to break the  rules and put the list submission
address in the envelope sender field, using "Safe= No" in your list header.
Then, when she hits "reply," she'll be replying to  the list instead of the
list's error mailbox.   The downside is  that the envelope  sender is where
properly configured mail transport agents send error  reports, and by doing
this you rely heavily on LISTSERV's loop detection logic  to stop them from
being distributed to the list.  You could always try it for a while and see
how it works.  I have "Safe=No" on a couple of lists here, and it works out
fine.  But they're pretty small lists.

Norm
--
"War dims hope for peace"