Thu, 15 Sep 2005 00:48:26 -0500
Ben Parker wrote:
> Almost no mail clients (including Lotus Notes) correctly support reading of
> HTML MIME DIGESTs.

If that is true, why do so many blessed lists have MIME HTML as default
options? *(see below)  Is UNIX/LINUX Pine one of the ones which does it
corectly?

> This requires experimentation to arrive at the "best" combination.
> Have the user try
>  NOMIME NOHTML DIGEST
>  MIME NOHTML DIGEST
> since we know that MIME HTML DIGEST does not work.

That is something  have done many, many times.  When none of the
combinations work I have, once or twice, gotten success, far as the
subscriber is concerned, by switching him to IETF headers.  I was just
hoping someone had a firm answer fo DIGESTs and Lotus Notes, either
LISTSERV option settings or Lotus Notes settings, or maybe there is an
icon to click on, like in Novell GroupWise.

> The difference between DIGEST and INDEX is that INDEX ....

Ok, well if the meaning of MIME HTML is different for DIGEST and INDEX,
what about for MAIL?  And, if the meaning is different for the three, or
at least two out of the three, why is there only one defualt setting per
list?  I mean, if you have your list default options set MIME HTML then
that is what it is regardless of whether the subscriber is MAIL DIGEST
or INDEX.  If it works differently for each, then shouldn't there be
separate default options for each?

* (I know why, or suspect I do.  It is because even though the lists never
have anything but text they still allow attachments, and HTML.  Given that
most list subscribers pay no attention to how they send their email, nor
what they include in replies, the digest is virtually unreadable with
NOMIME NOHTML.  But then, perhaps I am ascribing more thought to those who
use the MIME HTML default, they may never think of what their digests look
like.  Well, I do, so its no HTML, no attachments, and edit out the
automatic quoting of the entire text of the past five items in the thread
when they hit that handy auto-reply.)

Douglas Winship  [log in to unmask]