Mario Rups <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 29 Dec 1996 14:53:54 -0800
Philo wrote:

> address; more than twenty-five and it's all undone automatically... (Does
> anyone really subscribe to more than 25 LISTSERV mailing lists? just
> curious...)

Just curious, also, I just went through my "list inf[ormation]" folder,
where I keep the "welcome to!" and "usage guidelines" files of every list I
join.  I THINK I have all of them in there ... At any rate, NOT counting
the read-only lists (Tourbus, New-List, and the like), only the discussion
lists ... I came to 28.  No, hold it, make that 29.  And I have the uneasy
suspicion I'm missing a few. (Also did some housecleaning by zapping the
info for lists from which I've unsubbed in the interim and do not want to
re-join.)  And I've been thinking of going back to a few more I used to
enjoy a great deal ...

Luckily, not all those lists are very active.  Some, I'd almost forgotten
about, so low is the traffic!  And one of those lists owns the list I
co-own, so I'm not sure if that counts -- it's VERY active, though.

Average: 300 messages per day, minimum.  (I used to be canary in the coal
mine where I worked -- if *I* wasn't getting any e-mail, NO ONE was getting
any, and our systems administrator told me in no uncertain terms I was to
notify him immediately if two hours passed without new e-mail!)  If nothing
else, it teaches you RUTHLESS efficiency in handling e-mail.  And, of
course, I actually PARTICIPATE in less than half of these.

So, yes, a ten sub maximum would mean a considerable delay (and a certain
amount of triage!) should I switch ISPs.

> Philo

Mario Rups