Judith Hopkins <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 20 Feb 1998 10:56:12 -0500
Has anyone else run into this problem which one would-be subscriber sent
to me this morning?  Our list uses CONFIRM but when he tried to subscribe
he received nothing (or so he thought) until he received the notice that
since he had failed to confirm within the specified period his
subscription request had been cancelled.   He then wrote to me and I asked
him to try once more to subscribe and to copy the subscription request to
me.  He did so, and it looked perfectly in order.  That was yesterday.
This morning I received the following.

   The message to which his confirmation request was attached was not from
one of our subscribers nor was it from someone at his own node.

Judith Hopkins, Listowner of Autocat
     http://www.acsu.buffalo.edu/~ulcjh

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 1998 08:10:21 -0500
From: XXXXX XXXXX <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Messages Run Amuck

Hi Judith,

Thanks for your help with regard to subscribing to Autocat.  As it turns
out, I *have* actually been getting the confirmation messages, I just
didn't know it because they have somehow been getting attached to the
bottom of other messages -- how bizarre!  A colleague and I were discussing
this situation yesterday, and she mentioned that she had run into a similar
problem, and had by accident found her confirmation message at the bottom
of another message, so I carefully checked my mail, and there it was!  I
have forwarded to you an exact copy of the most recent message that I have
received -- I have also gone ahead and confirmed using the other address
and code as instructed in the message.  I suspect that this is a local
problem, and in no way a flaw with the Autocat Listserver.

Thanks for your help!