Francoise Becker <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 17 Jun 1998 11:04:53 -0400
On 16 Jun 98 at 17:22, Curtis Larsen wrote:

> We'd like to make the behind-the-scenes list management change as
> painless to our subscribers as possible, but in the long run would it
> eventually be better to send out one of those nice "Our list is moving
> so please SUB again" messages?

I won't answer the technical questions, because Nathan already did
that. But I think the answer to this particular question very much
depends on the nature of the list.

When I started my list, which is a discussion list, I was sort of
taking over for someone else who had been running a list on the same
topic in ListProc and didn't want to do it anymore. Rather than just
importing the 400+ addresses that he had on his list, we sent the
"our list is moving so please SUB again". The new list had about 150
addresses on it when the old one closed. I'm guessing that the
majority of the subscribers on the old list were defunct addresses
that ListProc hadn't dealt with, or people who weren't interested
anymore but didn't want to subscribe.  I think there is something to
be said for starting afresh, depending on the circumstances.

Francoise