Tue, 17 Sep 1996 17:09:18 +0100
Thanks to all those who sent me mail on this subject.  Since I learned
something new (both from the mail and from a subsequent report), I
thought I'd share it since it appears that others were somewhat confused
about this too.

The first question was whether listserv will explicitly send me mail
when the monitored person actually gets deleted.

Answer: Yes, it's at the front of the monitoring report

> The following 1 subscriber was deleted from the BALLROOM list today:
>
>   Mary Zinini <[log in to unmask]>
>   Last error was: Mailer HOMER.LIBBY.ORG said: "550 <[log in to unmask]>...
>                   User unknown"
>
> The following 3 subscribers are currently being monitored:

[rest deleted]

The second question was why the monitoring report was listing three
entries for the user below when, in fact, he was only subscribed once.
The answer to that is approximately that L-Mail queries for all possible
aliases and reports all.

It's still a little confusing though, since
(a) The monitoring report does not take this into account and lists the
three addresses as if they were individually subscribed ("The following
**3 subcribers** ...")
(b) For some reason, one of the aliases showed up only on the 4th day
(see below).  As to why this happened--who knows?  But it apparently
prevented the auto-deletion of the subscriber even though the other two
alias addresses have been creating errors for longer than the max time
(which I set at 3 days).  This appears to be something that needs
fixing.

--
Shahrukh Merchant