Thu, 22 Sep 2005 16:29:29 -0400
On 22 Sep 2005 at 14:59, Hal Keen wrote:

> > A subscriber on "review" was able to post directly to the list
> > (message did not come to me for approval). See a portion of the list
> > header below (e-maill address and list name changed).
> >
> > Can anyone explain how this might happen? Thanks!
>
> I think I was the last person to bring this up. You and I were both
> guilty of treating a design bug as a feature, according to the
> designer, who eventually "bit the bullet" and fixed it. See

well... you know, I don't feel particularly guilty of anything. Maybe I haven't given
enough to hurricane relief lately, but ... basically, I don't feel guilty for using
something that was touted, not as a "design bug," but as a solution.

In any case...

> http://peach.ease.lsoft.com/scripts/wa.exe?A2=ind0412&L=LSTOWN-L&P=R15
> 01&D=0&I=-3&T=0 for the full explanation.
>
> I addressed this by removing the "self-moderation" provision (removing
> the list name from Editor= ), and then giving EDITOR option settings
> to most of my subscribers. Those who would have been set to REVIEW in
> the earlier version were not made editors; in my list's case, that
> involves one untrusted character, plus (at any given time) a few
> newbies.
>
> This took a bit of effort, but it was worth it. I got back the list
> behavior I had before the upgrade from 18e.

Maybe I can try something along these lines in attempting to deal with things.
Whether it works with a gatewayed list will be another story. I still am trying to
grapple with the concept that setting people to "noreview" seems to have no meaning
anymore.

Other than that, things are peachy keen.

Maureen