Ben Parker <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 23 Jul 2004 12:37:01 -0600
On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 10:38:56 -0400, Eric Luo <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I use the command "change * [log in to unmask] [log in to unmask]"
>to change user's mailing address for all lists on listserv 1.8d. I got
>following message:
>
>There is no OLD list on this server. Try sending a "LIST" command to get a
>description      of      all       the      lists      available      from

This is where quoting the complete contents of the message you received back
would be helpful.

You command syntax is correct and always works for LISTSERV versions 1.8d and
1.8e if issued from an address with List Owner or POSTMASTER (Server Admin)
authority.

If the command did not work in this case, something else is wrong, which is
why it is important to see the complete message.  Taking a guess, a likely
problem might be that the old and/or new address is very long, so long that
the command line was 'word-wrapped' by a "helpful" email client program.
Naturally LISTSERV does not recognize the line has been wrapped so it trys to
work on what is there and fails because the syntax 'as-received' is different
from what you thought you sent.