Aldo-Pier Solari <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 1 Dec 1994 08:51:40 GMT
]Winship <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

]What is going on with this list?

Perhaps everything on Error  Messages  has already been discussed on
this list, Sir :-)

]And we have had great opportunities for discussion on lists and
]listownership (ethics and philosophy thereof) which have been totally
]ignored ...

Right.  Perhaps a "too technical" population :-).  To me -as  an  11
months  old,  Junior  listowner- error messages and the like come in
third place.   At  least  to  me,  listowning  implies several other
aspects [i.e.  political, educational,  scientific,  ethical,  etc.]
which  are *far* more important and interesting than just discussing
"error messages" over and over  again  :-).  I am very interested to
know what  other  listowners  and  system  managers  think  of  such
"human-ware" [if I may say so] issues.

For  instance,  I  was recently approached by a journalist from a US
based Higher Education Magazine.  They  are doing some kind of study
to check  out  "command  &  control"  by  LISTSERV  (yes,  LISTSERV)
listowners  on  lists,  information  flow,  who stays and who is not
permitted to stay, etc.  It  is -perhaps- healthy from the political
point of view but I wonder: Why is their working hypothesis based on
lack of trust on Listowners/Site policies/Sites ?  And why is  their
null  model  the  one  which  considers  listowner  like  a  kind of
KGB-political-cadres in a conspiracy ?.

Perhaps  we should/could invite the Higher Education Jornalists from
that and other similar studies  to  this  list.  We could discuss in
the open and hear what they have to say.

]to a few others of you.  If you haven't read it, read it.

Well, I would like to have  a  look  on the text.  Could you send me
either via b/c or to fax (34-28-45-29-22).

Regards,

    Aldo-Pier Solari (FISH-ECOLOGY)