George Frajkor <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 22 Nov 1999 13:47:05 -0500
Chris Anderson wrote:

> In MY humble opinion, Plain/Text has had its day, and is long due to be
> relegated to the history books.  You may quibble about the pro's and con's
> of HTML vs RTF vs whatever, but the point of email is communications.  And
> there are better ways to communicate than via plain text.
> Chris Anderson
> Director, Technical Support
> Unify Corporation

     In my humble opinion , plain text is the only way to go until
there is a universal reader, which functions under any operating
system, that can read any format.
   Today, there is not.  Reading a formatted attachment is impossible
for many systems.  Plain text is readable by all.   That is really the
only issue at this time.
    AsCII may be unsuitable for foreign languages but until there is a
UNICODE reader available for every system, and a way in which that
UNICODE reader can correctly translate Works, Word, Word Perfect, Ami
Pro, Text 602, etc., etc., and in all of their various versions from 1
to infinity,  ASCII is the only choice.   Formatted attachments of any
kind, including html, should not be permitted in ordinary email.
There usually is no purpose to it anyway.

    Jan George Frajkor                      _!_
 School of Journalism, Carleton Univ.      --!--
 1125 Colonel By Drive                       |
 Ottawa, Ontario                            /^\
 Canada K1S 5B6                         /^\     /^\
 [log in to unmask]      /   [log in to unmask]
  o: 613 520-7404   fax: 613 520-6690  h: 613 563-4534