Michael Holloway <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 5 Sep 1999 16:53:29 EDT
A warning in case anyone else thinks of trying this: Brightlight filters out
LISTSERV command messages, and the messages do not appear in the list of
filtered mail.  I've been reading about the Brightlight spam filtering
service for some time, and I'm recently signed up for a beta test of the
system on my ISP (Concentric).  It works beautifully for spam, my spam rate
is reduced to a trickle, but it also removes responses from LISTSERV server
commands.  Posts from my list are received, but messages for approval, or
appear on a password protected web interface, but none of the LISTSERV
messages ever showed up there.  I was slow to figure this out because of
that, but verified it by unsubscribing to Brighlight and sending commands.
Apparently, Brightlight filters out the message because of the blank
Return-Path line, and some bug causes the messages to disappear into the
ether.  Concentric responded very quickly to my initial query, and asked for
an example message, but have not responded to multiple requests for news
about a fix.  Pity.  It seems to be incompatible with LISTSERV, at least on
Concentric.  Has anyone else tried it?

Mike Holloway