Wed, 17 Jun 1998 22:34:56 -0500
On Wed, 17 Jun 1998, Liam Kelly wrote:
> that also would benefit from quoting the original text.  IMHO, it seems
> like such a feature would be largely ineffective, no matter how flexible.
> Because it's really the _relevance_ of the quoted text that is the problem,

Relevant, judicious quoting is fine.  But the majority of quoting is there
simply because the person doing the reply was too thoughtless, in too much
of a hurry.  These people usually do not elect to quote, they just accept
whatever their systems put in when they COULD easily take it out.

Judicious relevant quoting is usually not extensive, forms a small
percentage of the reply.  I see no reason why a percentage system would
not work, most of the time (that's the best you can say about anything, it
works most of the time).

Douglas