Jean Bédard <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 14 Sep 2005 13:59:27 -0400
Hi Barbara,

That's because of the way you "repopulate" your list. If, instead of deleting all subscribers and resubscribing everybody, you compare the enrollment data from yesterday (or from the preceding update) with the data for today, without even looking at the LISTSERV list itself, you will be able to emit specific QUIET ADD (or QUIET DELETE) only for those students newly (or not anymore) enrolled. This way:

- you will not delete teachers you have manually added;
- you will not re-subscribe students that, for some reason, you have manually deleted ("user unknown", for example);
- you will not change the students user options (SUBJ, DIGEST, NOMAIL, REPRO, etc.), and this is compulsory;
- you will decrease the charge on the server (mainly because many classes don't change).

You can "compare" data files you receive with simple tools (for example, comm or diff under Unix) and come out with two data sets, one you include in a batch ADD LISTSERV job, the other in a batch DELETE job, that you then mail to LISTSERV if they are not empty.

So, if you add someone (an assistant) by hand yourself, the script won't even know it, and won't care: this assistant will not be ADDed nor DELETEd, since he doesn't appear in any of the two compared files, only in the real LISTSERV list!

That's what we do here with our 23000 students lists; in fact, we also add the teachers with a similar method: two files, one for yesterday, one for today, compared by a script that ADDs/DELETEs them and changes the Owner keyword accordingly. That was not straightforward, though. (-:

Jean Bédard
Université Laval
Québec, Canada