Paul Wayper <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 19 Nov 1999 17:13:55 +1000
> No because it has to login to Listserv POP server with Listserv account &
> pasword.

I think you have the wrong product.

LISTSERV doesn't supply POP accounts - it runs email lists.  Your mail
software (I think you mentioned LSMTP) does this.  The two are not
interchangeable (although there are products out there that are).

You _ALWAYS_ have to log on to your POP server.  To not do so - to have
it automatically log in, for instance - is a security breach and would
open your mail up to other people to abuse.

Likewise, the username and password combination you use to log onto your
POP server is _COMPLETELY_UNCONNECTED_ to your LISTSERV password.
Setting a LISTSERV password will not affect your POP password, or vice
versa.  And to share passwords between systems is bad discipline - if
someone guesses or finds out one, e knows them all.

I think you need to learn a bit more about your system and where the
boundaries of the various bits of software are before you keep going.
You seem to be at that point where jargon is getting confusing.

Hope this helps,

Paul