Maureen Leblanc <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 29 Jun 1995 16:25:00 EST
Dear Folks,

Hope someone here can help me.

I began filtering this person quite a while back after he called
for the posting of uuencoded binary files to the newsgroup that
I gate, rec.music.dylan., then publicly killfiled me when I
told him publicly that this was inconsiderate of those who
subscribe to HWY61-L. I am filtering him because I consider his
insistence that *uuencoded binaries are just fine and "digest
people" will have to live with it* to be a threat. The public
killfiling was unpleasant, but merely the icing on the cake.

I've been receiving mail from people who are apparently
his friends, accusing me of censorship etc etc. Most of those
who write are not my subscribers. They are people who access
the group r.m.d. via usenet. Only one person who's asked me about
the filter concept is a subscriber.

I have tried to the best of my ability to keep this private. It
would never, ever have occurred to me to drag this out publicly.

I've tried to maintain the position that if he just emails me,
to in some way reassure me that he is not going to come right
back and urge the dumping of uuencoded binaries to the group
(and therefore my list and digest), then I will unfilter him.

Not only did I find the following post out in gopherspace
today, I am getting mail from other usenetters suggesting
that perhaps a "competitor" will start an "uncensored"
digest. The email is nasty in tone.

I don't know what to do. I have 350 subscribers.

(BTW, Can someone do that? I thought there could only be one gateway
to a usenet group at a time.)

Another usenetter posted some allusion to filtering being done
based on some sort of "moods" (!)

I want to maintain my stance, but it's getting rough out here.

This has been going on for days at this pitch, in private email,
with this person's friends, but this is the first drastic public
outburst from the person who is filtered.

Thank you for any advice. I really need it.

Maureen LeBlanc              Listowner: [log in to unmask]
who's almost ready to put her list on hold - but that's what they
want, isn't it...?