Jacob Haller <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 25 Jun 1998 09:06:54 -0400
>I've only been doing LISTSERV Administrator tasks for a few months and
>I could use a little help.  We're using LISTSERV 1.8a on our VM system.
>An owner of two lists observed a discrepancy that I can't figure out.
>He reports that persons on one of his lists receive messages with the
>"To:" line indicating that the message is from the list, e.g.
>
>  To:    [log in to unmask]
>      or
>  To:    Multiple recipients of list CAT-L <[log in to unmask]>
>
>This is exactly how he wants mailings from either of his lists to
>appear to a recipient.
>
>However, recipients of messages to his other list get a "To:" field
>that looks like it's a personal note from the sender, e.g.
>
>  To:    John Doe <[log in to unmask]>
>
>This is not desired.

One possibility is that one of the default options for this list is FULL822
or SHORT822, either of which results in the phenomina described above.
Since this requires a seperate message to be sent to each recipient, the
use of these options are discouraged.  LISTSERV documentation says:

>Options for mail headers of incoming postings (choose one):
>
>[. . .]
>FULL822      Essentially the same as  "full" mail  headers, but with  the
>             important difference that  the recipient's email address  is
>             specified in the  "To:"  line  rather   than  the  address
>             of the list. "FULL822" headers should  be used  with extreme
>             caution, as  they cause LISTSERV to create a separate mail
>             envelope with a single RFC822 RCPT TO: for  each address  so
>             set. This behavior can significantly affect  the performance
>             of both LISTSERV and of your external mail system.
>
>SHORT822     Essentially  the same  as "short" mail  headers, with  the
>             same caveats as noted for FULL822.
>[. . .]

In this case, changing the default options and issuing a

        [QUIET] SET listname FULL FOR *@*

should fix this.  Of course, before doing something like that I would send
out a notification to the subscribers so that they won't be surprised when
the mailing list headers suddenly change on them.

-jwgh