Wed, 16 Nov 1994 14:22:55 -0600
> Uh? The command preprocessor removes the PW=XXXXXX before the GET command
> ever gets a  chance to examine the  syntax. I've never heard  of any such
> problem, and  can't reproduce it. There  HAS been a problem  with the FOR
> option failing if you put two spaces, but never with PW=XXXXXX.

As I said, I was speaking from experience.  Over a year ago, after Jim
Gerland set up our filelist at my request, I had fits trying to figure
out what was wrong, why couldn't I get it to work, what was I doing
wrong, why do I keep getting these error messages that tell me
PW=xxxxxxxx is not a valid option?  Finally, since I couldn't find
any documentation that would explain it, I just tried putting in two
spaces between the last option and PW= .  Bingo! It worked!

Once I got the filelist going, I went back to the problem, just to
check it out.  I set up a script file that had only

GET listname FILELIST (CTL NOL PW=XXXXXXXX

When I sent that I got error messages.  When I sent exactly the same
file, except I added that one extra space, it worked.  So I tried it the
other way, script file *with* an extra space.  When I sent *that* as is,
it worked, but if I took out the extra space I got back an error message.
My conclusion, just put two spaces between the last option and the
pw when doing a GET, with options, which requires a password, and don't
worry about it.

Now, this was about a year and a half ago, maybe a bit longer, and I know
UBVM has gotten some updated LISTSERV programs since then.  It may be
I no longer need the extra space.  I will make a point of trying it
with a single space next time I get the filelist, see if it works.  But
that will not change the fact that I got the habit of putting in two
spaces between the last option and the password because two spaces worked
and one didn't.

        Douglas Winship    Austin, Texas    [log in to unmask]
                    Secondary AUTOCAT Listowner