Pete Weiss <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 24 Feb 1998 08:43:25 -0500
At 16:57 2/23/98 PST, you wrote:
|I would like to setup my list to take advantage of the <topics>
|option, but I want to make sure I am clear on what will occur.
|
|If I add to my header TOPICS= yyy zzz  then subscribers can set
|their options to <set topics zzz> and receive only those messages
|with zzz in the subject. Subscribers who do not <set topics> will
|continue to receive all messages.

See the attachment for a simplified over-view, and of course, see the
list-owners manual

http://www.lsoft.com/manuals/owner/owner.html

/Pete

It takes 3 things to accomplish your task via Revised LISTSERV techology: 1) list-owner has setup the list's TOPICS feature in the    definition (see example below) 2) you, the subscriber, have done a LISTSERV    SET listname TOPICS: -FWD    which only is effective for mail distributions, and not    for DIGEST/INDEX mailings 3) the sender uses a valid Subject: in their posting    SUBJECT: FWD: xxxxxxx Here is an example syntax using HEPROC-L topics= * Topics= HEJ,Con1,Con2,Con3,Con4,Con5,Con6,Con7,Con8,Con9 Notice that there is nothing magical about FWD and is not a valid explicit topic for this list (thus it would be treated as the reserved OTHER: topic).