Ben Parker <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 25 Nov 2004 14:49:03 -0700
On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 14:39:46 -0600, Winship <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>According to my old 1.8d manual listowners cannot do DISTRIBUTE jobs.
>Is this correct?

In general, yes.  The Site Admin may grant DISTRIBUTE job privileges to anyone
they choose to allow this.

>If it is, what does one do if one has a messag which
>needs to be sent to all subscribers, regardless of MAIL/NOMAIL setting?

If you don't have DISTRIBUTE privileges yourself, and you can't get your Site
Admin to run the DISTRIBUTE job for you or to grant you the necessary privs,
then using only your powers/privs as List Owner, you can do the following.

Send these 3 commands:

 Query listname with NOMAIL for *@*
 Query listname with DIGEST for *@*
 Query listname with INDEX  for *@*

From these 3 results sets (they are very verbose, but will list each
subscriber with that setting) build 3 separate jobs to return each subscriber
to their previous SETtings.  Similar to:

 QUIET SET listname NOMAIL for [log in to unmask]
 QUIET SET listname NOMAIL for [log in to unmask]
 QUIET SET listname NOMAIL for [log in to unmask]

 QUIET SET listname DIGEST for [log in to unmask]
 QUIET SET listname DIGEST for [log in to unmask]
 QUIET SET listname DIGEST for [log in to unmask]

 QUIET SET listname INDEX  for [log in to unmask]
 QUIET SET listname INDEX  for [log in to unmask]
 QUIET SET listname INDEX  for [log in to unmask]

Now issue a command to SET everyone to MAIL:

 QUIET SET listname MAIL   for *@*

When this is done, send your important message as a regular message to the
list.  Since veryone is now set to MAIL, they should all get the message
(assuming the subscribed address is deliverable).  Be aware that some
duplication may occur, since LISTSERV cannot know that [log in to unmask] and
[log in to unmask] are the same person.  Be prepared to deal with some
complaints as a result.

When this is done, issue the 3 groups of commands prepared above to restore
everyone to their previous settings.

Yes, this is a lot of work, especially for a large list, but is the only way
to use LISTSERV to do this if you have only List Owner privs.

Of course you can also do a REVIEW listing of your list, capturing all
addresses and make up a job you send from your home/work email account.
However that method does not make use of LISTSERV functions.