Sat, 2 Jul 1994 20:38:52 -0500
> Suppose you have a subscriber with this address: [log in to unmask]
> and you'd like to review his postings before they are
> distributed.  Send these commands:
>
> quiet del [log in to unmask]
> quiet add [log in to unmask]
>
> Grumpy won't know the difference--he still gets the list messages
> forwarded to him by cunyvm.cuny.edu.  But the LISTSERVer thinks
> that he is not a subscriber and forwards his messages to you for
> review.
>
> The bad side effect shows up when Grumpy tries to signoff--he
> finds that he can't.

Yeah, that's a neat trick.  But for me it raises questions of ethics.
There are lots of things we can do as listowners any time we feel
like it, but the ability to do it has to be weighed against whether
it's "right" or not.

If you select a node through wich to route this persons's list mail,
and the node has nothing to do with either the list or the subscriber,
isn't that putting an unfair burden on the unsuspecting node?

And what about the subscriber?  He thinks he is an equal among eguals,
yet, unbenownst to him, has been singled out for special treatment and
really isn't equal.  If the person is really that much of a problem
I would think it would be better to just delete him.  The scheme given
above seems like deliberately telling the subscriber a lie.

        Douglas Winship    Austin, Texas    [log in to unmask]
                    Secondary AUTOCAT Listowner