"John C Atkeson@NCG244@noaa" <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 4 Dec 1995 09:04:11 -0500
  Where could we find someone to adopt a list?

  There is a list called HIT which is having lots of technical trouble, and
the list owner is unresponsive.  He may even be one of those folks who does
not *know* he is a list owner.  Or maybe he is on sabbatical, or dead.  HIT
seems to be a "flying dutchman" list with no pilot.

  Technical problems are:

  About six listmembers (and increasing!) accounts are invalid, such is life.
 But every time a message is posted and distributed, the list server
mailbombs the sender with copies of all the bounces.  I got about 32 error
messages in my box one day after sending 2 messages.  Everyone on the list I
have talked to has this problem.

  There is absolutely *no* spam filtering, not even some kind of "post only
from subscribers" switch set.

  Technical requests to the list software such as REVIEW stopped working for
months, some have come back, but it's still quirky.

  Header info from a successful REVIEW request:

*  OWNER = [log in to unmask] (GERALDO XEXEO)
*  owner = cos20001@ufrj
*  Editor= [log in to unmask] (Geraldo Xexeo)
*  Review= Public    Subscription= Open         Send= Public
*  Notify= No        Reply-to= HIT@UFRJ,Respect Files= Yes
*  Stats= None                                  Ack = No
*  Validate= Store Only                         Daily-Treshold=75
*  Errors-To= None
*  Notebook= Yes,A,Monthly,Private              Mail-Via= Distribute
*
*
*
   453 people are on this list, but traffic averages maybe three messages a
day, often none.

  Thanks if you have any recommendations.