John Bachman <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 14 Jun 1998 08:28:37 -0400
Others on this forum are investigating Topics as my list did a while ago.
We were attempting to solve a problem in that a minority of our subscribers
do not want to wade through the postings of the majority.  We thought that
Topics might be the way to do it.  After studying Topics we concluded that
it was not the answer because it would be difficult for the minority
members to manipulate properly and would cause more problems than it
solved.  So we rejected it.

This investigation brought out the weakness of Topics: Topics is a DOS kind
of implementation in a  point and click world.  If the users do not
manually put the correct Topic in their subject line their message will not
be recieved by their target audience (those who have selected that Topic).

Hey Lsoft!  How about a menu selection method?  You know, point and click?
Subscribers get a small program downloaded to them so that when they post a
message to the list a menu of the Topics assigned to that list pops up.
Pick the one you want and away you go.  Whatcha think? Can you do it, huh,
huh?  Sure you can, but will you, huh, huh?

It sure would solve a problem on my list.

John Bachman
LOFC (List Owner First Class, one notch up from List Owner Newbie)