W Schipper <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 14 Dec 1996 19:31:28 -0330
A problem has surfaced on one of my lists that is spam-like in nature.
One of the more articulate and vocal subscribers, whose ideas are
sometimes heatedly disagree with by others on the list, had his
subscription set to NOMAIL.  He didn't do it, I didn't do, the list
co-owner didn't do it.   But someone seems to have impersonated him and
sent the command to LISTSERV to do it.  He noticed pretty quickly, and
we've reset it.

My question:  Is it possible to "fool" listserv by changing the
information in the "From:" line?  I know it is not possible with online
mailers like pine or elm.  But something sticks in my mind that some
offline mailers, such as Eudora, will allow knowledgable users to modify
the line so that listserv will think the message is coming from one
person, when in fact it is coming someone else.

Any insight?

I'm copying this to LSTOWN-L, since it concerns LISTSERV too.

Bill

--
Dr. W. Schipper                     Email: [log in to unmask]
Department of English,              Tel: 709-737-4406