Options: Use Monospaced Font
Show Text Part by Default
Show All Mail Headers

Topic: [<< First] [< Prev] [Next >] [Last >>]

Print Reply
William Schults <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 10 Apr 2014 13:23:44 +0000
text/plain (1 lines)
Well, I too am amused by the discussion my comments have sparked!  Glad I could liven things up!

I just found it interesting that Yahoo seemed unconcerned (or even initially unaware?) that their new configuration might disable participation in ListServs for their e-mail account holders.

I went ahead and changed my auto-delete settings for now to:

Auto-delete= YES,MANUAL,Delay(2),Max(5)

to prevent accounts from being automatically deleted.  If others in this forum come up with better long term solutions, please share!

Bill Schults

Co-list-owner, [log in to unmask]

To post messages, send e-mail to:

[log in to unmask]

Set your e-mail application to PLAIN TEXT ONLY to post messages.

To contact the list owner:

[log in to unmask]

----------------------------------------------------------------

Web based archives and subscription management are available at:

http://listserv.dartmouth.edu/Archives/uv-birders.html

-----Original Message-----

From: LISTSERV List Owners' Forum [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Hal Keen

Sent: Wednesday, April 09, 2014 1:48 PM

To: [log in to unmask]

Subject: Re: [LSTOWN-L] Yahoo/Hotmail bulk error

While I'm amused by the chum-in-shark-infested-waters philosophizing, another part of Bill Schults' contribution caught my attention:

> I’m considering setting the affected subscribers to “NOMAIL” and

> notifying them (via a separate e-mail, since ListServ generated

> messages aren’t getting through to them….).  They would still be able

> to post, but would have to read posts via the website.  Or they could

> consider changing e-mail providers.

This shifts the definition of "affected subscribers" from those using the service that screwed everything up, to those using services that do what the standards--and the sender's email service--tell them to do. I realize it's a natural list-owner's view of the situation, because those are the subscribers who show up on error reports. But they aren't the problem--and what happens if they switch from Hotmail to Yahoo! because they couldn't get the list mail any more?

Bill describes exactly the way I treat error reports now: I set NOMAIL and then take some time to send test messages and to let postmasters fix problems. But if I know the sender caused the problem, I put up with errors and go after the real source of the trouble.

I've notified all my Yahoo!-based subscribers that they're fine as long as they're just receiving email, but they cannot send to the list and have any confidence in the distribution. And I've suggested they change their subscriptions to some other email service.

I'm pretty sure Yahoo! took this step because they've spent the last couple years exposing their email users to unacceptable security risks. When they let a file of usernames with passwords out, I heard about it and changed passwords--but my subsequent spam history indicates they didn't notify all affected users, even though they claimed to have done so. We're looking at a case of locking the barn door after stealing the horses.

Comcast and Hotmail users shouldn't be regarded as the problem here.

Hal Keen

############################

To unsubscribe from the LSTOWN-L list:

write to: mailto:[log in to unmask]

or click the following link:

http://peach.ease.lsoft.com/scripts/wa-PEACH.exe?SUBED1=LSTOWN-L&A=1

IMPORTANT NOTICE REGARDING THIS ELECTRONIC MESSAGE:

This message is intended for the use of the person to whom it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential, and protected from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient, your use of this message for any purpose is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please delete the message and notify the sender so that we may correct our records.

############################

To unsubscribe from the LSTOWN-L list:

write to: mailto:[log in to unmask]

or click the following link:

http://peach.ease.lsoft.com/scripts/wa-PEACH.exe?SUBED1=LSTOWN-L&A=1

ATOM RSS1 RSS2