Tom Newell <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 14 Sep 1996 21:53:37 -0400
I'd be happy to help.  As for the host information, we
reflect what is submitted or provided for the name.  If for
some reason the correct info has changed over time, it is
the reponsibility of the name-holder/host manager to maintain
the correct info.  A "live person" is VERY easy to reach at the
help desk  at +1 703 742 4777.  If they can't help, let me know
and I'll try to assist.  Keep in mind that if the contact info
has not been maintained and the old contacts have departed, a
bit of manual work may be in order (phone and fax).

Regards,

Tom

> This is not a listserv problem; however could Peter Weiss or one of
> the other experts on this list come to our assistance.
>
> I teach at the University of Science and Arts of Oklahoma.  Our Hostname is
> MNERCUR.USAO.EDU and we have TWO addresses, 192.146.206.5 (VAX applications)
> and 192.146.206.1 (presumably the router to act as name server).  No one
> now knows why we are set up this way.  If you run whois on the ...1
> address you find that it was last updated in 1992 and shows a Macintosh
> running some unknown operating system.   The ...5 address gives correct
> current information.
>
> When whois is run on the Domain Name, USAO.EDU, Domain servers in listed
> order are ZOO.BACKBONE.OU.EDU 129.15.1.102 (the University of Oklahoma
> which is in no way associated with us) and NMSVR.USAO.EDU, 192.146.206.1--
> which is our actual address. Apparently, when information is routed
> to ZOO.BACKBONE it tends to get stuck, and since that address is listed
> as PRIMARY DNS, the system looks no further and doesn't even locate
> our functioning Domain server.
>
> Our computer systems administrator is Lynn Boyce who took over after
> our previous administrator left a couple of years ago.  She has been
> trying to unravel this mess.  Neither OU nor InterNIC has been of
> assistance.  In the meantime our access to Internet is constantly
> interrupted by DNS problems.  We presume this is caused by this
> dual and confusing registration but have been unable to find a live person
> to see to it that the registration is updated.  I told Lynn that
> I would enlist your help.  Is there someone with InterNIC Lynn could
> contact to get this corrected.
>
> BTW, Peter, that's why I use the numerical IP address in my homepage URL . . .
>
> Thank you very much,
>
> Ingrid Shafer

Tom Newell              [log in to unmask]    +1 703 742 4796
NIC Liaison             InterNIC Support Services
PGP Key fingerprint =  5E 86 3D 13 73 19 69 08  6B 54 6A 7D AD A2 37 6D