Norm Aleks <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 15 Dec 1994 22:07:05 -0500
On Thu, 15 Dec 1994, Roger Burns wrote:

> Is there anyway to configure an arrangement so that messages forwarded to
> the list by the editor will appear to be from the original sender?  As it
> is now, altho Listserv does strip away its boilerplate text, the messages
> look they're coming from me.  And, replies go to me instead of to the
> original sender.

This  actually was just  discussed --  was it here   or on LSTSRV-L?  Can't
remember.  Anyway, the way to do it is to have *your* mail program send the
messages to LISTSERV as a "bounce" rather than as a "forward".  (If you use
Elm or  the current version of  Pine,  "bounce" is  the command you'll see,
which is why I put it in quotes.)  The difference is that when you bounce a
message, its headers still indicate to LISTSERV that the message is "From:"
the original sender, that the "Date:" is the date  the original sender sent
it, etc.  All  the information about you,  and when you  sent it,  etc., is
indicated  in  a similar  set  of  headers   starting with  "Resent-", i.e.
"Resent-From:", "Resent-Date:", and so on.

So, talk to your systems people  and see if  your mail program can do this,
and then you'll be all set.

Norm