Bill Harvey <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 28 Sep 1995 10:18:51 CST
On Wed, 27 Sep 1995 09:13:00 EST, linda -i didn't think this through <[log in to unmask]> said:
>We have the gateway set to moderated so that all mail is supposed to go
>to the list *then* to the newsreaders....

In an ideal world, that's the case...  But the newsgroup moderation scheme
is rather less than totally secure...

>So, how did this guy get past it all and how can I keep this from
>happening again?

Well...  As to the latter, that depends on what you mean by "this"...
I'd be willing to bet that this post was distributed to the newsgroup,
but not distributed to your list.  That's the best you'll ever be able
to guarantee...  The only way to do better than that is to disconnect
your news gateway...

As to the former, when a post is made to a moderated group, the
headers are examined to determine if it has already been approved for
distribution.  If there's an Approved:  header already there, then it
is distributed as if the moderator approved it.  If there is no

Bill