Stan Ryckman <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 11 May 1997 22:56:59 -0400
At 01:08 PM 5/11/97 GMT, Ben Parker wrote:
>On Sun, 11 May 1997 17:32:02 -0400, Jan Howard <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>>        Subject: [LISTNAME] topic
>>How can I put [LPT] in my subject line?
>
>several steps involved.
>
>1.  GET your list header:    GET listname (HEADER
>
>2.  Add  SUBJECTHDR to the Default-Options=  line.

This is only necessary if you want new subscribers to get it by
default.  It won't affect existing subscribers.

>3.  Add the line  Subject-Tag= LPT     (do not use [] brackets)

This step is optional and can be skipped if you're willing to use the
listname as the tag (which I presume most would prefer anyway).

>4.  PUT back your header to LISTSERV host.

Steps 1 and 4 can be skipped unless you need 2 and/or 3.

>5.  send the command:  SET listname SUBJECTHDR FOR *@*

Bad idea this... some may have SHORTHDR set for reasons that may result
in non-delivery of mail if you override it (e.g., mail hops problems).
SUBJECTHDR *overrides* SHORTHDR; it's not an additional option.
(Whether it should be is a side issue; the point is, it is not at present.)

>6.  post a msg to your list telling users what you have done and how to
>turn it off if they should want to  (SET listname NOSUBJ).

Nope.  There are various *HDR settings, but NOSUBJ isn't one of them
unless I missed it.  There are FULL, SHORT, IETF, and SUBJ.  To "turn
it off" you'd have to pick one of the others.  (Most people on most
lists are probably set to FULL, but that doesn't make it right for all.)

I recommend: omit all 6 steps.  SUBJECTHDR is there already on 1.8c or
later lists (and is unavailable on earlier ones anyway), and the
subscribers can use it without the list owner doing anything!

Just post a message to your list telling users they can get this
feature if they want it by issuing the "SET listname SUBJ" command
(assuming you're at least version 1.8c).  If you're not sure, try
it on your own subscription before posting.

Many people with semi-sophisticated mail filters do not like this
option; it consumes the visible Subject space when they are already
sorting lists into their own folders.  It's nice for those with
really dumb mail clients that can't filter, though, and I use it
myself on a couple of lists which I mix into the same folder.

Cheers,
Stan