Roger Fajman <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 7 May 1997 17:13:23 EDT
>     It's an operational issue of protecting the very existance of
> the AOL mail system as a whole, and that's about all I can or will
> say on the subject.
>

>     Suffice it to say that source routed envelope addresses have
> greatly outlived their usefulness, and it's long past time for them
> to permanently go away.

Eric's right.  AOL should be ignoring source routes, not rejecting
them.  It's hard to see how ignoring source routes, rather than
rejecting them will compromise the health of the AOL email system.  You
certainly haven't explained why.  I participate in the DRUMS Working
Group and don't agree that you can use the DRUMS SMTP draft to justify
your position, as it continues the RFC 1123 rule for source routes.
Obviously there are no network police, but AOL is violating the
standards.

P.S. - We don't generate source routes here.  We do ignore them.