"Jim Styer, Battle Creek MI" <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 1 Sep 2000 17:34:52 -0400
Only my 2nd or 3rd post here since joining a year ago ...

I am the owner of a list at a host that is using LISTSERV 1.8C.
I may have to find another host and am considering moving
the list to eGroups. Is there a way, let alone an easy way,
to have the 3 yrs of list archives transferred over to
the new group at eGroups? If so, must it be transferred
in blocks of msgs or can it appear as an archive of
individual msgs in eGroups, as new msgs would appear?

I am simply the list owner. I have nothing to do with the host.
The tecchie at the host doesn't know yet, without researching
it and checking on the setup at eGroups, which he hopes to
be able to do this fall. (If it checks out to his satisfaction,
he may recommend eGroups to other lists that also may have to
find a new host.)

No fear that I will lose my list archives. I have all 3 yrs
of msgs backed up on my HD, too. (I'm using Eudora.) At WORST,
if I felt I needed to, I could forward each of the 5,000
msgs (!) to the group before I start live operation of the
group. I simply want to make the archives available to all
subscribers in one place, if possible.

No, I have not yet tried to contact any tecchies at eGroups
to ask this question. (Maybe I'd better do it before they
get too busy with the merger into Yahoo!)

If you feel the answer might help others on this list,
reply to all of us. Otherwise, or if the answer is too
detailed, reply personally to me.

I run a 325-sub list for barbershop harmony singers in Mich.,
and am experimenting with eGroups by starting a few other,
smaller lists there.
--jim--