Roland Zuk <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 6 Jan 2000 18:54:57 -0500
On Fri, 7 Jan 2000, Moshe wrote:

> I meant, to have the attachment stored in the archive, as is the case now, so
> it can be viewed via the web interface, BUT not send the attachment itself to
[...]
> End result is that the attachment isn't sent to anyone, yet everyone allowed
> can see it via the web interface. Especially good for my messages to some
> 10,000 students list (not the only list..), containing a word file of 50-100K

Bear in mind that a Word file or any other binary material will be
encoded before mailing to the archives, making the file considerably
larger, and it will not be readable via the WWW interface anyway.  In
addition, storing large limited, interest material in the list archive
could make archive searching quite cumbersome.

It would probably be better (and easier) to store and serve the file
directly from your WWW or FTP service rather than trying to use the
Listserv file services.  That way you can compress your large files,
do un-encoded binary transfers, and avoid filling the archive with
unreadable/unsearchable encoded material.

You could put direct links to your file(s) in an announcement message
to the list, and/or on your list WWW interface index page.

Regards,
Roland