Jason Rasku <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 1 Jun 1998 21:16:13 -0700
On Mon, 1 Jun 1998, Ed Paynter wrote:

> All these other options are fine, and there are even web pages that will
> "watch" sites for you (Dartmouth College has one for example called "the
> INFORMANT"), but...

        I have just picked up Netscape Navigator 4.05 and it seems to have
some of the subscribe functionality that IE does.  But it seems to be that
it is limited to the channel option that IE does.  I could be missing
something mind you.  What I find EXCEPTIONALY annoying is that as of now I
have 3 diffrent Java Virtual Machines installed on my computer, IE's,
Netscape's, and the JRE 1.1.5.

> Why use up all the resources required to process web pages, with all the
> bandwidth overhead of downloading full HTML sources for each such page,
> when a simple little email command (were it implemented on LISTSERV) can
> deal with the whole thing?

        I agree, but if a ``watcher'' is set up corectly, it should be
able to watch any web page anywhere on the net.  If an e-mail anouncement
is sent out the functionality is really quite amasing.  And the overhead
though significantly larger than an implementation in a product such as
Listserv, I think is well worth it.  A lot of pages are not likely to
implement a mail anouncement of updates, and almost certianly not a
converter for html to text.  Why ask for the wheel to be stored at each
web site, when you can ship it from one site and have the functionality
cover the whole internet.  (bad mixed metaphor there...)

                                                        Jason Rasku

--
Jason Rasku, Box 270, Rossland, B.C., V0G 1Y0, (250) 362-5701,
LinuxBox: (250) 362-9668.

Web pages of Interest:
Madness: <http://www.madnation.org/> <http://www.efn.org/~dendron>
         <http://www.peoplewho.org/Madness>
Fibre: <http://kootweb.com/trillium/trrasku/trrasku.html>
Spirituality: <mailto:[log in to unmask] sprits firstname lastname>

ICQ 6375239

The years of peak mental activity are undoubtedly between the ages of
four and eighteen.  At four we know all the questions, at eighteen all
the answers.