The Shrim Dude! <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 1 Jun 1995 20:45:28 -0400
It was said:

> From:    Nathan Brindle <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Re: How to handle error messages.
>
> >So first you have to suck the dumb users username out of it and then
> >attach [log in to unmask] and then be able to delete it.
>
> No worse that a multitude of VMS systems out there that say "No such
> user STUPID at node DUMB."  Or systems that generate an error and
> don't bother to tell you who it's for.  Or systems that generate an
> error for an alias address or a forwarded address and don't bother to
> tell you who the RCPT TO: address was.  Etc.  Have I made my point or
> would you like more examples?

Thanks for the generous offer, tho' i don't recall asking for any in the
first place.

> Such as Compu$erve, who does the same
> basic thing that AOL does but in a most inelegant way (and you have to
> change those stupid commas to periods.  Isn't that AWFUL???).  Yet
> no one bitches about Compu$erve and <their> error messages.

Because CompuServ is Compu$$erve, it does attract mostly responsible
individuals who have atleast the minimum civilized decency to pay up their
subscription dues on time, thus keeping thier account in good shape and
unsubbing from mailing lists in case they want to end thier Compu$$$erv
account. A rarity amongst AOL'ers, this being my obesrvation as a TOP20
List Owner.

Anywys, I'm almost finishing up my perl code which will extract the erring
e-mail address from the 'Error-For:' line by scanning all the delivery
error mail from the listserv (which automatically get filed in a folder,
thanks to the wonderful procmail) and saving it to a file which then can
be sent to listserv for immediate action. If anyone's interested in a
copy, just send me an e-mail and not to this list.

> >The most weird thing about AOL is it generates 5 error msgs for every
> >dumb AOL user.
>
> Actually the most weird thing about AOL is the amount of vitriol it
> seems to generate among people who ought to know better.  Can we stop
> this thread now?

Err... I think so too, while wondering why the responses to questions in
this list are usually so strongly worded.

> I don't own AOL stock
> I don't subscribe to AOL
> I just believe in fairness.

Same here. Fairness which includes the list-owner too.

Cheers..
               (o o)             (0-0)             (o o)
  N. Sriram | [log in to unmask] | http://monroe.temple.edu
  Unixmenu Developer, Macintosh Archivist, WWW Builder, User-Support.
  Mama always told me "Speak for yourself Son, the World will listen"