Dan Wheeler <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 28 Jun 1998 13:37:52 +0000
Hi,

At 08:48 AM 98/06/28 -0400, Pete Weiss wrote:
>|Suppose I like someone from the opposite side of the globe to be the 2nd
>|moderator for 12 hrs per day, is it possible have a timer so that LISTSERV
>|automatically forwards all messages to one moderator for 12 hrs and then
>|switches it over to the 2nd moderator ?
>
>Only if you had some sort of CRON job that updated the LISTSERV list
>headers.  Or possibly if you and your moderators SHARED a common userid
>which then could be used to generate approvals as required.  Only one of
>you could/should be logged on that shared userid at a time.

By some sort of amazing co-incidence, I'm right in the middle of changing
from one system that does 12-hour shifts to another.  The change will occur
in about 3 hours.

Our needs were a lot more complicated.  We have a team of moderators and a
full week schedule of 12-hour shifts.  One moderator might have the AM
shift on Saturday and Sunday and the PM shift on Tuesdays.  We also keep
logs of the messages that are sent to the moderators so that if messages
(or moderators) get lost, we can review the messages from the log files.

I wrote the original scripts on a Vax VMS system a few years ago.  It is
going to be shut down on July 1, so we have rewritten the scripts for a
Unix machine.  We'll find out later today whether they work.

Pete has suggested a cron job that changes the list header every 12 hours.
This would certainly be easy to do.  Another approach would be to set up an
account that would be the permanent moderator address.  The cron script
would just change the forwarding address every 12 hours.

With LISTSERV 1.8c (and earlier), the OK approval notice must come from the
address to which the message was sent for approval.  I had to write another
script to receive the approval messages from the members of the moderator
team and then to send the OK to LISTSERV.  This restriction has been
removed in 1.8d; the OK approvals can arrive from any address.

Good luck.

                               Peace,  Dan

<<  Daniel D. Wheeler - Education & Psychology, Univ. of Cincinnati  >>
<<  Email: [log in to unmask]      URL: http://oz.uc.edu/~wheeledd/  >>