Tue, 30 Jul 2002 09:38:33 -0500
On Tue, 30 Jul 2002, Russ Hunt wrote:
> OK, but I still think there's some principled decision making
> built into 1.8d, which we're still running here . . .  and it's
> to do with headers, I'm sure.  1.8d is treating OoO messages in
> three different ways (at least) and I can't see on what basis
> it's doing so.

Russ, what a subscribers ooofbot system does has *nothing* to do with
LISTSERV, regardless of version.  It has *only* to do with how the
particular oofbot is written, something the user generally cannot change.
Some ooofbots properly send messages to the listowner, as instructed in
the LISTSERV email header.  Others can't read email headers so they send
messages to either the list or the person who posted the item.  Nothing
you can do by of configuring your list will change that; you have *no*
control over it.  All you can do is to ask subscribers to *please* set
their subscriptions NOMAIL or unsubscribe before envoking the things.
Then, either set them NOMAIL or delete them, whichever is your policy,
when they don't comply.  Pete's content filter won't do anything to
stop the damned things when they are sent to the poster.

I repeat, there is nothing you can do to control the way the ooofbots
respond.             Douglas