Steve Howie <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 2 Jul 1996 11:37:47 -0400
Suggestion:

A change I'd like to see sometime in the future is the way list header
keywords are changed by LISTSERV. Currently, the header for the list has
to be retrieved, the file edited, then stored back to the list via mail.
Ever try this for the same operation on many lists? I found that stacking
multiple PUT commands in the same email message when storing the headers
for a number of lists you wish to change the same option in just does not
work (e.g. Review= PUBLIC to REVIEW= Private for all lists), meaning the
PUT command has to be issued explicitly for each list. Would it not make
sense to implement commands such as changing Review= from Public to
Private using the something similar to the following one-line mail
commands?

        SET OPTION "Review= Private" FOR *   /* Only sysadmin can do this */

                -- or --

        SET OPTION "SUBSCRIPTION= Private" FOR IGUANA-L
                                            /* List Owner or sysadmin can
                                               do this */

these commands would only be recognized for the sysadmin plus list owner
for a specific list, and only the sysadmin if a wild-card is specified
for the list name. I have no idea of the amount of code which would have
to be changed, but it would make a nice *alternative* method for list
owners and administrators to change header options, and in some case
would speed up maintenance dramatically.

Comments, anyone?

Scotty
Steve Howie                             Email:  [log in to unmask]
NetNews and Listserv Admin.             Phone:  (519) 824-4120 x2556
Computing and Communications Svcs.      Fax:    (519) 763-6143
University of Guelph

If it's not Scottish its CRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAPPPPP