"Peter C.S. Adams 7-5263" <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 13 Dec 1995 22:11:21 EST
Kevin J. Sinclair <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Ultimately, most persons addresses are going to be publically known
> anyway, I suspect.  One way or another, you are going to appear in
> someones database.  Maybe it would be better for all if there was a
> single global database of all email addresses [...] Mabye we need an
> organization online where you could register your address if you do NOT
> want junk email; there is such an organization in the 'real world' if
> you wish to reduce your junk postal mail.  I used it but I forget what
> it is called; registering with them did reduce my junk postal mail.

I agree. Most addresses are already known (or readily obtainable), and --
get ready -- MOST PEOPLE LIKE IT THAT WAY! Interest in services like 411
and the Internet White Pages is high. It's the electronic equivalent of
alumni organizations and phone books. The vast majority of people WANT
PEOPLE TO BE ABLE TO FIND THEM. The price they pay for this is unsolicited
junk. As Kevin pointed out, what is needed is a way to prevent the junk,
not more ways to hide. Making junk email a misdemeanor is a longshot,
but it's a possibility if telemarketers can be regulated (or at least
organized) as paper/phone soliciters are (somewhat).

I have the addresses of 15 places you can write to try to reduce your
junk mail. Email me privately if you want a copy and I'll forward it along.

|  And the #1 thing you can do to help the  |        Peter C.S. Adams      |
|  environment is ... become a vegetarian.  |    Univ. of Mass. at Boston  |
|             Ask me why!                   |     co-listowner, PAGEMAKR   |