Paul Russell <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 10 Nov 2007 00:56:14 -0500
On 11/9/2007 11:08, Hal Keen wrote:
>> * Quoted-printable - Configure the list with 'Translate= No'. I am not
>>    sure this will eliminate this problem, but it should not make it worse.
>
> I had gotten the impression that Translate= No had no effect on QP.
>
> I did try to find out once exactly what translations it performed, but
> nobody was able to answer.

We discovered this recently while dealing with a rather unusual problem.
An Outlook user posted a message which included two PDF files as
attachments. When a message recipient (any recipient using any client)
opened attachment A, the entire document was viewable; when a message
recipient (any recipient using any client) opened attachment B, the
document appeared to be empty. If the same Outlook user sent the same
message directly to any recipient, both attachments displayed correctly.
As we investigated the problem, we discovered that the attachment which
always displayed correctly was encoded using the BASE64 encoding scheme,
but the attachment which appeared empty when delivered via LISTSERV was
encoded using the quoted-printable encoding scheme. I am not sure what
LISTSERV was doing to the QP-encoded attachment, but when we added
'Translate= No' to the list configuration, the problem disappeared. I
have absolutely no idea why Outlook was using different encoding schemes
for two files of the same type.

--
Paul Russell, Senior Systems Administrator
OIT Messaging Services Team