Wed, 21 Dec 2005 13:00:15 -0600
On Tue, 20 Dec 2005 [log in to unmask] wrote:
> ccsi.com has an MX record that points to backup.ccsi.com (sounds messed
> up) as well as an A record.
>
> mail.ccsi.com has an A record and no MX.
>
> What address are you sending to?

Both [log in to unmask]   and  [log in to unmask]

The former has improved, a bit, in delivery but the latter still does not
work, when the mail is sent from a really picky site, like the U. at
Buffalo.  It used to deliver to @mail.ccsi.com just fine, but quit about
a week ago.  It is from long distance phone calls to the folk at UB that
I heard of the dnsreportback.com stuff; that's what they go by, apparently.

Sites that aren't so picky will still deliver to mail.ccsi.com, but that
is immaterial; only mail from buffalo.edu to mail.ccsi.com is important
to me, as far as mail.ccsi.com goes (no one else uses it).  My regular
mail is just sent to plain ccsi.com, which, as I said, has improved in
the past 24 hours (after many emails and hours on the phone in the past
week).

Question:  What is a DNS Dope Slap?

  If it's [log in to unmask], then there might
> be a problem if the MX (backup.ccsi.com) is down, or not forwarding mail
> to the proper server for ccsi.com.    I tried to connect to
> backup.ccsi.com, and it timed out.  Most MTAs will deliver to the A record
> if there is no MX record, but in this case, there is an MX that is not
> responding.  Most MTAs do not try an A record if there is an MX that
> fails.
>
> mail.ccsi.com did answer on port 25.
>
> Sounds like they need a DNS Dope Slap.

Douglas Winship  [log in to unmask]