Ben Parker <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 30 Dec 1997 13:47:16 -0700
On Tue, 30 Dec 1997 15:15:18 -0500, Dave Paper <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I'm in the process of setting up a new listserv, and I'm trying to figure
>out how to disable the distribute feature. IE I don't want my listserv
>using any of the other listserv's on the listserv backbone.

Well, since this is one of LISTSERV's advantages over competing maillist hosting
programs I'm curious why you'd want to do this.  In any event it can't exactly
be turned off, but you can choose not to use it.  When you register your site be
sure to include Backbone:NO on the last line of the registration form you mail
in.  This will allow you to receive periodic updates of the routing tables, etc.

but will not list your site as one to be used by other sites doing Distribute
jobs.

Then you just don't send any distribute jobs either, and they won't happen.

The alternative is to set runmode= "STANDALONE" in your site.cfg or go.user
setup.  This will mean you will have to update routing tables manually, but is
the preferred solution for running behind a corporate firewall.

>I found a bunch of info on the list-managers web-page about statistics,
>and control of the distribute feature, but nothing about how to turn it
>off.
>
>If it's in there, and I missed it, please point me at it.

 Ben Parker ..... L-Soft international Inc. ..... [log in to unmask]