Judith Hopkins <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 6 Sep 1996 14:36:14 -0400
Jean-Marc
   You used the wrong syntax to subscribe Jim Bier (I did this a few
times in my early days as a listowner so empathize with your
bewilderment!)
   SUB listname  Subscriber's-name   is the syntax an individual
would use himself/herself to subscribe to your list, e.g., Jim Bier
would say: sub spiramed Jim Bier
in a message he sent to LISTSERV.  He would not include his e-mail
address as LISTSERV would take it from the return address of his
subscription command message.
   This is the syntax you yourself would use in subscribing to the
SPIRAMED list, which is why LISTSERV is modifying your existing
subscription by changing your name in the subscription list to the
character string you included following the list name: SPIRAMED

   When you act in your capacity as listowner to add someone to your
list you must use the syntax:
   ADD listname emailaddress subscriber's-name, e.g.
   add spiramed [log in to unmask] Jim Bier

Judith Hopkins, Listowner of Autocat