Nathan Brindle <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 17 Jun 1998 11:02:53 EDT
On Wed, 17 Jun 1998 10:57:57 -0400 Michael Smith said:
>     Is there a way to have the BOTTOM_BANNER text stripped from messages
>     in the digest?
>
>     For example, we have the list information (e-mail addresses, etc)
>     added to the bottom of every message as a reminder to the subscribers.
>     But for digest (and for the Web-site interface) that text is a
>     tremendous waste of space and can be very annoying when it's 50% of
>     the entire digest. For the web-site archives, the BOTTOM_BANNER text
>     ends up as part of the message text and can affects search results.

LISTSERV since version 1.8c does this by default, so if you have bottom
banners showing up in messages in the digest in 1.8c, it's because the person
who sent the message included the banner in his message (usually because
they replied to someone else's message and quoted full text).  LISTSERV's
default behaviour is to put one copy of the bottom banner at the beginning
of the digest and then strip it for all messages.  Now, again, this doesn't
apply to copies of the banner quoted by posters in replies :) but only
to the copy of the banner LISTSERV would have put on the outgoing message
itself.

If you are running 1.8b or earlier my advice is to upgrade :)

Nathan