"A. Ralph Papakhian" <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 9 Dec 1994 22:54:37 EST
Patrick and UCS Postmaster: I would disagree with Patrick's
assessment of the LISTSERV auto-delete feature. On the whole it has
saved me a lot of time. This particular problem could have been avoided
1) if UCS did not cause the error to begin with
and 2) if UCS immediately notified everyone about the problem when it
is was identified (by means of a logon greeting or something similar).
I would add that I notified the IUB UCS postmaster about the error within
a couple of hours of the event. Notification was not broadcast so
Patrick had to discover the problem hours or days after the fact.
It is appropriate for LISTSERV to delete user addresses when it receives
error messages from a mailer indicating that the user is unknown.
It is not appropriate for a mailer to send "user unknown" messages when
that is not the case.  Shouldn't the agency causing the problem be
responsible for fixing it, especially after it knows about it?
It should not be up to the list owner to deal with this problem.
I think we are just beginning to see the tip of the iceberg on this
one.
*GO*   Most sincerely,
*!!*   A. Ralph Papakhian, Music Library (Co-Listowner for MLA-L@IUBVM)
*IU*   Indiana University, Bloomington, IN 47405
       (812) 855-2970  [log in to unmask] [log in to unmask]