James Chamier <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 9 Jun 1998 20:12:45 +0100
Steve Howie wrote:
> Actually, Ben Parker from Lsoft solved the problem for me. If the email
> client sending the request is Web-based, it asks for conformation ( for
> obvious security reasons, since forging a From: field is trivial in these
> cases. Just how it knows it's a Web-based client is the question :) The
> user at my site was using netscape 4.04 to send the requests.

What concerns me, is does LISTSERV maintain a list of "Web-based mailers"
and can we find out what this list is ?

Every stand alone PC mailer I've seen allows you to input anything you like
as your e-mail address (From field). If you enter something wrong, you won't
get replies (yes, I've seen that more than once!).

I know that some ISP's always ensure the FROM field contains the correct
address (as gained from the login details). However those of us with more
flexible ISP's (allow unlimited addresses), might have a problem here, if
our site manager decides to enable that variable, because their local mail
package doesn't have a problem?

Comments?

James
--
James Chamier, PC Developer, Administrator of The Friends List
[log in to unmask]  -  [log in to unmask]