"Michael S. Johnson" <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 28 Sep 1999 18:15:13 -0700
Hello,

  I just had a serious problem with a subscriber who had a runaway mail
filter which sent mail back to the mailing list.  This caused other
subscribers' mail servers to choke on mail with too many hops.  THAT
caused numerous bounces to reach the list owners.  After NOMAIL NOPOSTing
that subscriber, I held the list.  I imagine that the rogue mail filters
are still causing e-mail to pile up on the held list.

  How do I prevent the undesireable mail from flooding the innocent
subscribers when I free the list?  Can I edit or delete undesirable
messages from a held list's queue?  How do I do that?

  This is for a list on the 1.8b [log in to unmask]

  I'd rather not keep the list held for more than a day or two, so I hope
to hear from you soon.  BTW: I've already contacted the subscriber and the
postmaster to see if they can fix the problem at their end, but that won't
fix the held message queue, of course.

Thanks,