Wed, 30 Nov 1994 01:32:14 -0600
On Wed, 30 Nov 1994, Don Soucy wrote:

              deleted stuff goes here

> First, get the filelist and include the (CTL switch:
> GET MEDLAB-L FILELIST (CTL PW=XXXXXXXX

     adding the Nolock after (CTL is nice so subscribers can use
     the filelist in the meantime (it can take 4 - 8 hours from when my
     get command took effect at the host site 'til I actually "get" the
     filelist (or header) so I can start mucking about with it).

> Then edit the filelist as shown below and send back to LISTSERV@UALTAVM
> Make sure the PUT command is the first line.
> Make sure filenames and filetypes are upper case.
> NOTE: Filename and Filetype can each be a max of 8 characters, so I
> changed the name of "SELECTED MEDICAL RESOURCES".
>

> PUT MEDLAB-L FILELIST PW=XXXXXXX

   Should this not be:
   PUT MEDLAB-L FILELIST LISTSERV PW=XXXXXXXX    ?

> * filename filetype   GET PUT -fm lrecl nrecs   date     time   File description
> * -------- --------   --- --- --- ----- ----- -------- -------- ----------------
>   MEDLAB-L WELCOME    ALL OWN .       .     .        .        .
>   MEDLAB-L FILELIST   ALL MED F      80    29 94/11/25 11:05:14 MEDLAB-L
>   MEDICAL  RESOURCE   ALL OWN .       .     .        .        .        .
> *
>  [....  Leave NoteBook/Log section as is]

Questions:
  If the filelist is operational, Pat shouldn't have gotten
what she got, using the CTL option, which she says she did.  Can a filelist
be gotten without CTL, modified and then PUT?  Pat says she did use (CTL
but what she sent to the list looks like what one would get with INDEX.
Can one really use the output of INDEX or a GET listname FILELIST
minus the (CTL to modify the filelist?

Next, it is my understanding, which could be faulty, that one never
puts a file before the filelist file itself, which is what seems to
be advocated here.  Am I wrong?  If so I'ld love to kmow of it as it
would give me more flexibility.

And what about that F in the rec-fm column?  I have never seen anything
like that in any functional filelist.  If the filelist were operational
shouldn't that be V ?

If I have misunderstood how things work, I really do want to be told of my
errors, where they are, and why they are errors. Which reminds me, many
thanks to Melvin (I got your latest, thanks), Pete, Nathan, Marty, the
Jims and even Eric for help given through this list (and anyone else I've
forgotten who has helped).

        Douglas Winship    Austin, Texas    [log in to unmask]
                    Secondary AUTOCAT Listowner

Afterthought: why say to leave the "notebooks" alone?  With (CTL
one doesn't get the notebooks, does one?  If so, the system at UBVM
is atypical, as I have never gotten anything of the sort.