Stan Ryckman <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 25 May 1997 21:19:40 -0400
At 02:58 AM 5/26/97 +0200, John Witherspoon wrote:
>What is the difference between the Owner-Listname-L and Listname-L-Request
>addresses?
>
>Mail sent to both goes to all list owners above the Quiet: line in the
>header, right?
>
>What automated replies does a message sent to each address generate?

Someone will undoubtedly correct me, but I *think* that:
        Owner-Listname-L is sent in the SMTP MAIL FROM address in posts,
                and is the intended address to receive bounces, etc.
        Listname-L-Request is intended to be the address where people
                can write you and reach the person, rather than trying
                to wade through the computer to find your address.

The "Owner-Listname-L" shouldn't normally generate a reply, although
it may if a person writes there by mistake.  (I haven't checked.)
On my list, the "Listname-L-Request" address generates something to the
effect that "if you were trying to reach a human being, then you sent
your mail to the right place..." etc. etc.

If you have filtering capabilities, it can be useful to separate the
two, because the Listname-L-Request emails generally mean someone
is trying to talk to you, whereas the Owner-Listname-L messages
generally mean someone's mail is bouncing, and you'll have to look into
it eventually (but probably there's no immediacy).  But yes, you should
receive messages directed to either address.

Cheers,
Stan